Friday, August 19, 2011

"Put your big girl panties on"

First of all, let me just say, HOLY SHIZNIZZLE...what a week! I just wrapped up my first week of college (round two) and my head is spinning. College the second time around is not nearly as fun as the first! I may never stop missing the days when the biggest worries I had were finding the perfect shoes to wear with my perfect outfit to wear to Two Keys or which fraternity had the cutest boys! This time around, there's much more to worry about. Finding time to study in-between being essentially a single mother 95% of the time, cleaning my house, potty training my two year old (which I must say is not going so well), driving back and forth to Etown four days a week, and buying and renovating a new house, is exhausting!

*SIDE NOTE: David and I met with the bank today and applied for our loan for the new house. Hopefully by the first of September we will have closed on the house and can begin renovations. In the mean time, I'm going to try to come to terms with the thought of having two house payments, which in return means I'm going to be broke.

Here is a look at how my week started off....on the WRONG foot! Let's just say if we were playing "three strikes and your out," I'd be OUT.

FAIL #1: I was VERY late to my first class of the semester due to horrendous road work on the bypass in Etown. They had the entrance to the school completely closed off from the bypass and sent students on a little detour. Of course, I got completely lost. Once I finally found my way to the school, I realized I was completely disoriented, being as I'd only used the main entrance (and only been on campus once before) to get to my building, and had no idea where I was! Luckily the parking attendant was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction!

FAIL #2: After finally finding my classroom, I then realized that not only did every other student in the class have their books, they had already been on blackboard and printed out lecture notes. First of all, I didn't even know where the bookstore was. I had no clue what books I needed and certainly hadn't been online to do anything!!! Apparently my idea of the first day of class where they go over the syllabus and it's over is not so much the case with this program.

FAIL #3: Once again, I was late to class on just the SECOND day of the semester due to road work. This time, although I knew where I was going, traffic was at a stand-still on the ramp to the bypass and of course, I didn't make it to class on time. Yikes.

FAIL #4: After arriving on campus late yet again, I got my schedule mixed up and went to the wrong building, making me even MORE late. Really? Who does this? It's not like this is my first rodeo.

So in attempts to redeem myself, I left super early for school the rest of the week and managed to make it to the right class room, at the right time, with books in tow. Luckily I haven't been kicked out of the program....YET!

As my professor, who is in her 60's (no offense), said in her incredibly northern accent, "It's time to put your big girl panties on". And that is what I plan to do. Hopefully I will learn (quickly) how to balance my personal life and school, but for right now, I'm just trying to get my head to stop spinning.

Sincerely,

The worst college student ever.

1 comment:

  1. Lol.. what a week you had. Poor lady! Well, atleast you have it under control now.. and "your big girl panties on" hahaha.. i can't believe she said that to you. And what are you going back to school to get?? Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete