Friday, July 1, 2011

a woMAN's best friend...

I've had lots of fun things on my mind to blog about this week, but those will have to come later. Today has been a very sad day today for my family and I. After several great years together, I lost one of my very best friends, my dog, Zeke.

Zeke was the first dog that I could actually call my own. He was the lazy, chubby pup of the litter and it was love at first site! All through college we took naps together, ate together, took road trips together, did homework together, sat on the porch together...you name it, we were inseparable! He was always by my side. After any bad day, he could always put a smile on my face.

Zeke
November 25, 2003 - July 1, 2011

A few months ago Zeke started acting funny. One particularly odd trait he had recently inherited was his ability to snore...and I mean snore louder than any human I've ever heard! I found it odd that he all of the sudden began this, but the vet said unfortunately there was nothing he could do for Zeke's snoring! So I contemplated buying ear plugs. Shortly after, he began showing other signs that were not normal & I found lumps on his throat, so once again we headed to the doc. This time they diagnosed him with Lymphoma. My heart sank as the vet told me that it had already taken over his body & that his time left on earth was coming to an end.

This morning I had to make one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I have been very fortunate that I have not had to deal with many deaths in my family, but to lose Zeke felt like losing one of my family members....who am I kidding? He was a family member. Although it wasn't an easy decision, I knew that Zeke was suffering & I wanted to take his pain away. So today, Zeke went to doggy heaven. I know he is pain free & chasing squirrels right at this very moment...and I know that he has a nice fluffy couch that he can call his own. But my heart aches for him to be here with me & I will miss him every single day.

Please keep my family in your prayers.


Ten things I will miss about Zeke.....

1. His incredibly stinky fish breathe that no doggy mint could ever touch
2. His polar bear butt...Zeke was a little over weight!!
3. His insanely long lizard tongue that could snatch a kiss seemingly from a mile away
4. His uncontrollable barking when someone new entered the room
5. His growl that I always called his "purr"
6. His ability to sleep 20 of the 24 hours a day 
7. His grumpy nature
8. His love for chasing squirrels
9. His warm welcome when I came home
10. His unconditional love for me

Oh how I will miss him....


I'll leave you with a few pictures of my sweet baby Zeke......







May you have an endless supply of beggin' strips....

Love always,

Mom

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, Loren.
    I lost my doggie of 14 years awhile back, and it was honestly like mourning the loss of a family member. I know it must be very hard for you right now. Zeke sure was a beautiful puppy. I'll be thinking of you.
    Love,
    Tiffany McElroy

    ReplyDelete