Monday, July 11, 2011

Ballin' on a Farmer's Budget!

We're Back!!!! My family and I just spent a fabulous week just off of St. George Island, Fl. As you know, last Friday was a tough day for us & our vaca was just what we needed to clear our heads.

On the way down we stopped in Burmingham, Alabama & spent the night at a fantastic resort called the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa.  It was good to break up the long drive for the youngsters. I recommend this resort as a getaway for anyone who enjoys great hotels, good food, an awesome pool, golfing, & the spa!!!! It would be a great place for the family OR just a romantic weekend with you & your significant other! Check it out....


We stayed in a gorgeous house on the bay...





Don't get the wrong idea, it wasn't just the three of us in this beast. There were 16 people total. 9 Adults, 6 children, & the wonderful Miss Katie (will introduce you to her shortly). My entire family, including my mom, stepdad, & brothers were there along with the Wise clan, good friends of the fam. We all managed to get along great!

We spent most of our days relaxing by the pool/beach, listening to the Dave Matthews Band channel on Pandora (note: add station immediately if it isn't already on your playlist), drinking LOTS of vino, reading books, chasing kids, eating great food (mostly grouper), & laughing. I couldn't think of a better way to spend the week! :)

Yum
We didn't really do anything special for the Fourth, but I have to say I found the most appropriate prop (just laying in my bedroom) to use for pictures this day. See below:

Happy Fourth of July!

"Only worry in the world, is the tide gonna reach my chair...."

And there the flag is again!

Mar-Mars (my mom) & I...& the flag!
And the post-card picture of the week goes to.....

It feels good to be FREE.....Happy Independence Day!!!!


A sign I found that was both appropriate for the day & maybe just a little appropriate for me!
On the Fourth we ate at a neat little place on the Island called The Blue Parrot. Oaks was a trooper having not had a nap all day.

Watching Phineas & Ferb on the Ipad. Have I mentioned how you MUST have an Ipad if you have small children? Will get to that later...

Just couldn't make it any longer...

Daddy Dave

Still asleep as we tortured him...just a little bit

The whole fam damily....minus Logan who ran off to Panama Beach for the night

Sweet baby blues

Beach time...









Pool Time...







"The Cuban Launcher" 

Surfin' in the USA

Practicing our "Big Boy Pottying"

Takin' a little siesta



Getting some "Unc Logan" time in...

Scuba Steve



Fun with the camera...




The lovely "Miss Katie" and her kiddos...




So I mentioned Miss Katie earlier. Now it's time to tell you how amazing this chic is! Miss Katie is the Wise family's sitter who came along to help take care of the kids. She is sooo great with the kids & we were very blessed to have her along. She even braved keeping Oaks a few nights along with the other 5 kids so that David & I could go out with the adults. Oaks absolutely adored her. If only we could duplicate her.

Some of our crew went "scalloping"

So all in all we had another successful family vacation....aside from the way to close encounters with a few raccoons, getting in a fight with a porcupine-looking palm tree (& it winning), & drinking my weight in red wine.  

I can only think of two things to complain about....

1. I forgot to have someone water my flowers & they were on the brink of death when we got home. DEVASTATING! If you know me, it's a miracle they've lasted this far into the summer. BUT, they were very forgiving & have perked up since then. 

2. My Zeke wasn't waiting for us at home with his wagging-tail & uncontrollable barking. =(

We weren't home for 20 minutes before David said "Lets go to the farm" (can't believe it took him that long!!)

So Oaks threw on his work boots, we hopped back in the car & took off to the farm. Needless to say, I had two HAPPY boys.

And I picked some fantastic veggies from the garden....(Papa Dave grows a mean garden!)




I'll leave you with a very simply recipe that Nona Rita (David's Mom) gave me for SQUASH PATTIES. They are so yummy!

SQUASH PATTIES

2 c. peeled & grated yellow squash (can also use zucchini)
1 Tbls. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. flour
1 small onion, diced
salt & pepper to taste

*Mix all ingredients together & fry in hot oil.


Feels good to be home.....

1 comment:

  1. SGI is my favorite. Sounds like you had a great trip. :-)

    ReplyDelete