Friday, July 22, 2011

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.."

"...the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" -Reinhold Niebuhr

One of the greatest challenges (for me) as a farmer's wife is accepting the brutal schedule that is farming. Let me tell you, NO ONE could have prepared me for this life!

I grew up in a small town, very rural...so I have always been surrounded by farmland. However, I couldn't tell you the first thing about farming. Sure, I can tell you what I thought about it...and then you're going to think I'm ridiculous, but that's okay. Here's just a few thoughts that went through my narrow mind:

1. Cows stink
2. Why don't farmers wash their cows butts? They poo all over themselves. Ew.
3. They grow a lot of green stuff. 
4. I love the smell of dried up corn....You know, the stuff that they store in the silo's! 
 Because it reminds me of being on my Papa's farm when I was very little. 
(Note to self: Ask David what the technical term for dried up corn is tonight)
5. Hay bails were called "hay barrels" in my world. Why wouldn't they be? They're round!
6. There's only one brand of farm equipment and his name is: John Deere.
7. And so the list goes.


Back to the point of the story....

When I met David he was working in Lexington, where I was living. After realizing we were pretty serious about each other we made the decision to move back home (*gasp). Strangely enough, we grew up in neighboring towns but never knew each other. So long story short, we moved back home. I went to help my mom with her mid-life crisis...I MEAN, her new restaurant...and David went back to farming. 

David gave me warning after warning that farming was long hours, hard work, yada yada. I agreed thinking I knew exactly what he meant. 

Let's just say, the first year of our marriage was a very TRYING time. 

1. We were newlyweds 
2. We had a new baby 
3. I was just getting a TASTE of what he really meant by all those warnings. 

However, we fought through it and now I'm finally starting to come to terms with his vicious schedule & realizing that no matter how many tantrums I throw, he's still gonna work until dark! 

Now I can kinda joke about it...I say "kinda" because I'm not 100% joking!!! hah...But my FAVORITE thing to say when people ask where David is, is "He's with his other woman" (other woman meaning the farm or those heifers!! tehehe) Side note: google the term "heffer"...it's quite hysterical when in reference to a farmer! 

Anyway...

Needless to say, I have a love-hate relationship with summer. It's my absolute favorite time of the year, but I also dread it the most! Longer days, more sunlight....means less time with the hubby. =(

So I've finally gotten smart over the years and have decided that the only way I'm going to get to spend time with my husband during these dreaded months is to help him! (You all must know by now I'm head over heels in luv with this man!) So, I have begged to help him with his tobacco this year & after he finally ran out of excuses to keep me away, which if you know me, fueled my fire even more, he gave in! 

Lets get one thing straight here. I may not be the most likely person for the job, BUT I'm a hard worker & no one is going to tell me I can't do something! Not that David actually came out and said "I don't think you're cut out for this", but I knew exactly what he was thinking! 

I have surprised my husband more in the past few months than in our entire marriage. And of course I have documented it all! Here's a look at my efforts to be a more likely farmer's wife:
Settin' Baccer...officially a pro

Probably shouldn't have worn the rings
Just a little dirty
The tobacco Setter

David loading us up! Isn't he so stinkin' (literally) cute??


Plowing Tobacco

Unloading Hay

My Tory Burch sandals were probably not the best choice

Oaks....always right up in the mix!

Raking hay...I'm just along for the ride.
Topping Tobacco
In 100 degree weather might I add

PRO fessional


Oaks playing in the patch...in his diaper. True redneck baby!

The hubs and I taking a water break! So happy =)

Making a fashion statement in Nona's hat! 



Strippin' tips! (This picture was from last fall)
As you can see, I'm playing my part in this marriage! But most importantly, I'm getting to spend some quality time with the hubs this summer & loving every dirty, sweaty, hot minute of it!

I have come a long way from where I started since we said "I do" & have learned a lot about his job! I still keep my fingers crossed every night that he will be in a little earlier & I still feel a little lonely at times, but after helping David (as much as he will let me), I have a whole new respect for farmers & for David especially. I am so thankful for all of his hard work & for trying to be the best farmer he can be! It only makes me want to be a better wife! =) 

Have a great weekend!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment